Author Topic: What type of electrical heater for this stairwell ??  (Read 151 times)

Offline wantboost

• Pro Tech™
What type of electrical heater for this stairwell ??
« on: January 07, 2019, 01:29:30 AM »
Heater is broken would like to replace with a electrical heater that has a programmable thermostat so it's not running that much during the day .I cannot find a product do u guys have any suggestions. 

I also thought of putting a line voltage thermostat but the wires are barried.  If I did find them where would I place the thermostat in this space ?? At the top of the stairs or closer to heater??

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: What type of electrical heater for this stairwell ??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »
Is it a 120V or 240V baseboard heater?  Just match up the power supply and wattage and you should be okay to replace it without replacing the breaker.

It would easier to mount a thermostat on the same wall as the heater.  Most of the heat will rise up the stairs.

Offline wantboost

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
240v . So use voltage thermostat? How high should I mount it above the heater on the same wall above the heater ??

What type of heater should I replace it with . The current one is discontinued.  Should I get a regular baseboard heater or one with a fan ??

Do I need one with a fan like these ??
https://www.lowes.ca/baseboard-heaters/dimplex-12-in-l-x-16-in-h-6824-btu-208240-volt-fan-heater_g1591310.html?pfmwidg=rltd_itm

https://www.lowes.ca/baseboard-heaters/dimplex-twh-9-in-l-x-17-in-h-1500-watt-240-volt-forced-air-heater_g1592225.html?pfmwidg=rltd_itm

Is it a 120V or 240V baseboard heater?  Just match up the power supply and wattage and you should be okay to replace it without replacing the breaker.

It would easier to mount a thermostat on the same wall as the heater.  Most of the heat will rise up the stairs.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
Well the important thing is to matchup the electrical rating or you may have to upgrade the breaker.

I wouldn’t worry about a fan in a stairwell as heat rises.

It would be easiest to mount the thermostat on the same wall, usually 60” from the floor.  It may need to be set at a higher temperature but you will figure out what temperature works best then you can program it.