Author Topic: What type of electrical heater for this stairwell ??  (Read 582 times)

Offline wantboost

• Pro Tech™
What type of electrical heater for this stairwell ??
« on: January 07, 2019, 01:29:30 AM »
Heater is broken would like to replace with a electrical heater that has a programmable thermostat so it's not running that much during the day .I cannot find a product do u guys have any suggestions. 

I also thought of putting a line voltage thermostat but the wires are barried.  If I did find them where would I place the thermostat in this space ?? At the top of the stairs or closer to heater??

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: What type of electrical heater for this stairwell ??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »
Is it a 120V or 240V baseboard heater?  Just match up the power supply and wattage and you should be okay to replace it without replacing the breaker.

It would easier to mount a thermostat on the same wall as the heater.  Most of the heat will rise up the stairs.

Offline wantboost

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
240v . So use voltage thermostat? How high should I mount it above the heater on the same wall above the heater ??

What type of heater should I replace it with . The current one is discontinued.  Should I get a regular baseboard heater or one with a fan ??

Do I need one with a fan like these ??
https://www.lowes.ca/baseboard-heaters/dimplex-12-in-l-x-16-in-h-6824-btu-208240-volt-fan-heater_g1591310.html?pfmwidg=rltd_itm

https://www.lowes.ca/baseboard-heaters/dimplex-twh-9-in-l-x-17-in-h-1500-watt-240-volt-forced-air-heater_g1592225.html?pfmwidg=rltd_itm

Is it a 120V or 240V baseboard heater?  Just match up the power supply and wattage and you should be okay to replace it without replacing the breaker.

It would easier to mount a thermostat on the same wall as the heater.  Most of the heat will rise up the stairs.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
Well the important thing is to matchup the electrical rating or you may have to upgrade the breaker.

I wouldn’t worry about a fan in a stairwell as heat rises.

It would be easiest to mount the thermostat on the same wall, but that’s usually not recommended and normally you mount it 60” from the floor.

Isn’t your first link a commercial bathroom heater with built-in thermostat?  The second link has a built-in thermostat as well but is a wall insert model that could be alot harder to install if you don’t have an existing insert.

Offline wantboost

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »
I used a online calculator that says I only need 750w there .
I currently have 1500w . If I use s 1000w what's the difference in energy savings or run time or comfort??

Thx.