Can I install a humidifier on this air handler/combi unit ??

Started by wantboost, October 07, 2019, 08:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wantboost

What type of humidifier to install on this dvs600 combi unit are they allowed and or is it a speciality type ??
Is there enough room to install on the front of the unit due to the size of the duct work looks kinda small (12") If installed on the wall side would u still be able to change the humidifier filter??

G2

Admin

You can install a bypass humidifier on the supply plenum or return air drop.  It looks like there should be room on both.

Also I don't see a freeze stat installed on the AC suction line.  That's a mandatory requirement when installing an AC on a Redzone hydronic air handler.

Is the AC coil missing a drain plug?  It's looks like an open drain hole.

wantboost

This unit was builder installed..

Im curios why is it required ?

The space between duct work and wall is 12 inches . Is that enough room for humidifier and to change the pad??

The left drain is blocked with some grey rubber type stuff . What's the right hose isn't that a drain for ac ??
G2

Admin

Why can't you install the humidifier on the front of the return air drop or supply plenum?

If the filter is left dirty and the AC coil starts to freeze it could cause the heating coil to freeze and crack.

The Redzone manual says,

QuoteIf an evaporating coil is installed above the hot water coil, then a Freeze stat must be installed to prevent potential freeze damage to the hot water coil and subsequent waster escape.

You should issue a warning tag for Clause 4.1.3.

There's always 2 drain holes on the AC coil but one should be plugged.  We don't use secondary drain lines here.

wantboost

Do u think the builder would come back and fix it the place is a few years old ...

It's a small space . Was trying to save space cause I wanna put shelves onthe wall.

How does the supply line for the thermostat tie into pex water lines ??
G2

Admin

Tarion has a 2 year warranty on the heating system and Code deficiencies and only 1 year on the AC.  I would contact the builder and explain and likely they will send the installing company back regardless.  You could also contact the installing HVAC company and see what they say.  A freeze stat only costs $15 and it wouldn't take long to install.

The freeze stat is installed on the AC suction line and is wired in series with Y or C going to the outdoor unit.  If the suction line temperature is too low it will stop the AC from running and prevent it from damaging the heating coil.

I don't think the duct work was taped as per the Building Code either.  All the supply air seams should have been taped in that mechanical room as per OBC 6.2.4.3(12).  Usually taping the returns is a part of the Scope of Work as well, at least in the mechanical room or basement.

wantboost

Place is over 2 years old i guess nothing can be done...
Is there anything that can be done to the installer..
Should I metal tape where the yellow meet the supply also ??

How does the water line for the humidifier tie into pex piping ??
Should I bother wasting my time doing the freeze stat.  Inchange the filter often ......
What's a slim bypass humidifier u recommend
G2

Admin

I'm sure if you contact the builder or HVAC installer they would make things right.  Did the builder install the AC or was it maybe done by a 3rd party after closing?  I would be surprised if someone is wasting money on cased coils in new construction.

Quote6.2.4.3. Construction and Installation of Ducts and Plenums
(11) Where a supply duct or return duct is located in an unconditioned space or outdoors, all joints of the ductwork shall be sealed to a Class A seal level in accordance with the SMACNA, "HVAC Duct Construction Standards – Metal and Flexible".

(12) Where a supply duct is located in a conditioned space, the ductwork shall be sealed to a Class C seal level in accordance with the SMACNA, "HVAC Duct Construction Standards – Metal and Flexible".

This means all the seams on the supply duct should be taped.  In conditioned areas you don't have to tape the longitudinal seams or the gores on elbows, but everything else should be taped.

The saddle valve that comes with the humidifier is approved to be used on PEX, but our Building Code does not allow them.  You're supposed to buy a proper PRX water valve with 1/4" male thread and crimp it into the PEX and connect the water line to that.

7.2.10.5. Saddle Hubs
(1) Except as provided in Sentence (2), a saddle hub or fitting shall not be installed in drainage systems, venting systems or water systems.

Any bypass humidifier would fit on your supply plenum.  I use the Lennox HCWB3-12K or Goodman HE12MB models.  Buy a Generalaire 1042 and you can likely use the mounting plate and it would work on the front of the return air drop.

wantboost

I'm confused on where to tape.....
Can u post a pic or link of the connector
G2

Admin

The s-cleat and drive cleat joint on your supply plenum is a transverse joint.  That should be taped.

I don't think you really need to worry about it.  I was just pointing out the deficiencies I saw.  The only one I would worry about is the freeze stat.

I don't really see the benefit in taping joints in conditioned spaces, unless it's return air in the mechanical room with appliances that can spill flue gas.  Those supply joints don't leak if done properly, and even if they did the conditioned air is still contained within the home.  Using all that tape to satisfy the OBC is likely wasting more energy than the leaking ducts.

wantboost

I'm curious tho help me understand where tape goes.  Where the duct meets the coil ?
Can u post a pic or link of the water line connector I need . Thx
G2

Admin

The supply plenum looks like it's already taped to the coil.  It's the transverse joint 20" above there that should be taped.

This should work if you have 1/2" PEX.  You'll need a barb tee and a small piece of 1/2" PEX with this valve.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/boshart-canada-jag-plumbing-packs-1-2-inch-pex-x-1-4-inch-comp-shut-off-valve-2-pack-/1001089439

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Admin on October 07, 2019, 01:16:37 PM
You should issue a warning tag for Clause 4.1.3.

I don't know if you could. Since there's no gas for this appliance, does it fall under the scope of the b149?

Admin

Well the gas water heater feeds the air handler which could be affected by a damaged heating coil.  We could argue the definition of appliance, found in O. Reg 212/01, includes the air handler as it's connected to the gas water heater.

Quote"appliance" means a device that consumes or is intended to consume a gas and includes all valves, fittings, controls and components attached or to be attached to it;

wantboost

How will the shutoff be crimped to the pex.? Or do I need a tee ?
Plz post a pic

Quote from: Admin on October 08, 2019, 04:15:55 AM
The supply plenum looks like it's already taped to the coil.  It's the transverse joint 20" above there that should be taped.

This should work if you have 1/2" PEX.  You'll need a barb tee and a small piece of 1/2" PEX with this valve.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/boshart-canada-jag-plumbing-packs-1-2-inch-pex-x-1-4-inch-comp-shut-off-valve-2-pack-/1001089439
G2

Sergroum

I've seen people put a saddle valve on PEX, but I do not think its up to code, and I can't trust it to not leak.

Frosty

this is what you need. picture attached.!/2' pex tee valve x1/4'' water line.All plumbing wholesalers will carry this