Author Topic: COLEMAN EVCON  (Read 3150 times)

Offline DMAJCH

COLEMAN EVCON
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:14:33 AM »
My coleman evcon unit runs correctly most of the time except for when the unit will keep running outside but doesn't continue to blow inside.  This will sporadically happen (usually at night when the thermostat is programmed to drop colder).  Have to turn ac off then on again for it to start up.  When this happened the last time I turned the FAN to ON and it blew ok.  I've been told it could be the fan relay or the contactor (switch) to the outdoor unit is bad.  How do I know?

Offline TECH X

• Pro Techâ„¢
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: COLEMAN EVCON
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:00:19 PM »
Whoever told you it might be a contactor, misunderstood your problem.  You said the thermostat was set colder and the unit outside ran, but the indoor fan did not run.  The problem is definetly with your furnace.  I believe that model of furnace has a board.  If you trace the black wire from your fan motor, it will connect to something, probably the board.  Whatever it connects to is most likely the problem.  The fan relay, for high speed cooling, is working intermittently.  That relay is part of the board.  You should just leave your thermostat fan set to ON, and everything will work fine until you have the faulty part replaced.

Your fan motor itself may also be overheating and tripping off on overload protection.  Next time it happens feel the motor to see if it's hot.  Also spin the blower wheel to see if it's seizing up.

If the A/C runs without the indoor fan, everything will freeze up and may cause damage to the compressor.