Author Topic: Fan motor in coleman central air  (Read 4050 times)

Offline magicsbest

Fan motor in coleman central air
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
I am hoping that someone could help me with some advice to a problem I have? I have called everyone from coleman to GE. So far no one seems to be able give me a answer, only a phone number to some one who gives me another number. Well I am sure you get what I mean.
I have a colemen (Presidential) central air unit for my mobile home. The fan motor went out. I got the bright idea to replace it. So I called around and found someone who said that they had the part, no problem. When I recieved the motor it look just like the one I had before. Until I went to unstall it. The one I had had 4 wires, but the one I recieved had 3 wires. I called thee guy and told him, he said that it can be hook up with no problem.
My question to anybody who would be kind enough to answer it. Is this true, can this be hook up to my unit, even if the one that was in it had 4 wires? If so, how would I hook up the wires?
I really hope someone can help me, Thanks ahead for your time and intrest.

Offline TECH X

• Pro Tech™
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Fan motor in coleman central air
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »
Most likely you had 2 capacitor leads and 2 line leads before.  Now you have 2 line leads and only 1 capacitor lead.

Describe the colors and where they went.  Did they sell you a new capacitor with the new motor?  Does the new motor have a capacitor rating?  ie: 5 MFD @ 370VAC

Offline Ron

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:52:49 PM »
Yes I have seen this many times before when doing a re and re.
Please do this carefully.
Install the motor.
Read and follow the wiring diagram on the new motor.  Check where the wires come from in the A/C.  This may take a few minutes to trace this out.  Install the capacitor that came with the new motor.  Make connections.  Check current on motor rating plate.  Check actual current with unit running.  And you are good.

No problem.

Ron HVAC/R

Offline ProTemp

• Pro Tech™
    • hvac tech group
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »
First off...Has anyone verified if this a guy is a tech? Sounds to me your lacking in the schooling backround. The 4 wire vs 3 wire is very trivial. I would give the answer but sounds to me your the homeowner looking for an low cost repair by doing it yourself. I have no problem with that. Just should be honest upfront. I think tech_x answered it right. Its all about the capacitor configuration and also proper rotation. If my memory recalls i had this conversation with tech_x on a service call this summer...lol