Job search / Apprenticeship Questions

Started by cookies, September 24, 2021, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cookies

Hello everyone,

I have recently completed my G2 license and my diploma through a college. I see a lot of job postings online that require varying years of apprenticeship work towards hvac mechanic. I was looking for clarification on how this works, does my education bypass this or would I still need to go through an apprenticeship? Most hvac technician jobs I see require a few years of experience in the field as well, any tips towards a good place to start would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Richard W.

JackA

Welcome to the HVAC club! Getting your first job might be a challenge not having experience but once you get going with a good company, you will be golden. Whether you chose to do service, installation or a combination, you will do well if you decide to work hard.
If you are seeking to get your 313-A (commercial AC) or 313-D (residential AC) certification of qualification (CofQ), you will need to get into an apprenticeship program. You may want to consider getting your ODP certificate if you have not already received it. You can check out www.hrai.ca for this. Also, it would be good to try and get into a unionized company. Sometimes it's hard though but worth a try. If commercial, the Local 787 is the union that supports these employers. I am guessing that you are in Ontario.

If you can't get with a unionized company and have to start small,  find out from your employer if they are willing to offer you an apprenticeship. You will have to register or they will have to register you with the Ministry of Labor Training and Skills Development. The ministry will guide you once registered.

Anyways, I do hope that your career will be off to a good start and that you will find an awesome employer to work with. Be cautious because there are ones who don't care about your success, only what they can get out of you. Best of luck