G1 Gap courses

Started by Silbas, April 07, 2022, 08:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silbas

I know this was asked prior but I didn't want to revive a 7 year old thread.
I've been working with this company for the last 9+ years and in that time we've been working on G1 equipment ( I'm G2) under the guise that the owner has his G1. It's not until recently when I've been inquiring about challenging the exam that I've realized not only doesn't he have his G1 but none of the other guys that worked there had their's ( it's a long story I'd rather not get into on a message board). Tssa have already been contacted, they basically told me I'm SOL because none of the work I did can be recognized. That's my reason for trying to find one of these courses/programs somewhat local to the GTA.

The guy that does NRG is retiring and Great Lakes is too far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Porcupinepuffer

You still might be SOL because even with the odd available G1 courses, you're still required to have the 500 hours of documented proof of having worked on equipment over 400kbtu under the direct supervision of a G1. Also, did you discuss any of this with your employer before getting a hold of TSSA to inquire about it? Because if you mentioned your name and company, I'm sure TSSA will be paying them a visit, or looking to audit them thoroughly when the time comes if they now know they've been working on large equipment without any licensed G1's.

Hvacpimp

Well let me tell you that tssa is very strict when it comes to the 500 hours. Even though I had the hours from the past I was denied. If you think Great Lakes is too far than you are sol because they are the only ones that offer it as of right now. I had to drive from East of Durham region to Windsor every week for 2.5 months to make it happen. I just finished the course. Long story short, if you want it bad enough make it happen if not you can stay as a g2 until another place decides to offer it. 80% of the class was not local. It was an adventure and I can honestly say that I miss it! The class was great, the course was helpful and the teacher Bill was amazing. The next course offered is in November. Get on it!

samihabib

^ Great Lakes is amazing. I will be taking the G1 gap and course for licence next year. Bill is one of the best in the industry. Glyn runs the place like a true leader.

Hvacpimp

Quote from: samihabib on July 01, 2022, 11:31:10 PM^ Great Lakes is amazing. I will be taking the G1 gap and course for licence next year. Bill is one of the best in the industry. Glyn runs the place like a true leader.
I agree!