VanEE 90h damper issue

Started by bruceh, November 29, 2022, 03:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruceh

Hi
I see a question similar to mine posted here from Konos in 2016, but don't see if there was a resolution.
My problem was water dripping out of right hand side of a VanEE 90h. I noticed that when I open the unit and press the kill switch the damper motor only closes the baffle maybe 1/4 of the way before it stops and the baffle springs back open. It seems that the tech that originally installed the 90h, 20 yrs ago, had used screws to hold the flexible air hose to the collar of the damper door, causing it to not close properly. I have removed those screws, but damper door still acts as described above during Boot up. I don't see any LED or pushbutton on the PCB board as described in the manual and various places online... Is there some procedure to reset the unit using the jumpers I see on the PCB? Help! :)
thanks in advance

Admin

If the damper is getting power it should open and close and there's no adjustment required.  Is it possible even after removing the screws there are burrs in the plastic that are preventing the damper from closing?  Check all the insulated intake flex, and make sure none of it is ripped and letting warm air into it.

bruceh

Thanks for getting back to me:)
I double checked for burrs. I can manually close the damper, and if I operate the damper linkage by hand, it will close completely. It just seems that the motor doesn't get driven for a long enough period of time for it to close all the way...
I followed the blue and yellow Damper motor wires back to the Main PCB and during Boot up self test, the damper motor receives 124vac for approx 6 seconds.
I'll see if I can attach a video and a couple of pics...

Also, in case it matters:
VanEE 90 H s/n 9R34000623939 and PCB board is M2S-PC28644-2

thanks again
Bruce

Admin

The 90H manual I found says,

Quote3.1.1 BOOT SEQUENCE
The unit boot sequence is similar to a personnal computer boot sequence. Each time the unit is plugged after being unplugged, or after a power failure, the unit will perform a 30-second booting sequence before starting to operate. During the booting sequence, the integrated control LED will light GREEN or AMBER for 5 seconds, and then will shut off for 2 seconds. After that, the LED will light RED for the rest of the booting sequence. During this RED light phase, the unit is checking and resetting the motorized damper position.
Once the motorized damper position completely set, the RED light turns off and the booting sequence is done.
NOTE: No command will be taken until the unit is fully booted.

If you keep the switch pushed in and turn the HRV control off does the damper close then?

That's an older unit and there could be an issue with the control board.  I have seen control board settings to adjust defrost timing but nothing to adjust the sequence of operation.

bruceh

Yes.. I've read that portion of the manual also..."the unit is checking and resetting the motorized damper position"... I think you are right that the unit is an older one, since it doesn't have the pushbutton or LEDs mentioned in the above Boot up procedure. (as seen in my photo above)
I am thinking that my unit is not "resetting the damper position".
I was hoping that by maybe moving a jumper on the PCB, that would reset everything, and then during the next Boot up sequence it would run the Damper motor longer (I read somewhere 16-17 seconds)... allowing time for it to fully close and use that as the NEW position...
Maybe I'm on the wrong track?? :)
what do think?

bruceh

UPDATE!!
I was waiting for a cold day, in order to catch my VanEE 90H in defrost mode. Was walking by it and it was on high speed and sounded louder than usual. I carefully opened the front panel see what position the fresh air damper was in... and it was fully closed! As it should be in defrost mode!
It was louder than normal because for the first time in 22 years the damper door was not obstructed by improperly placed screws restricting the damper door from closing properly.
I guess watching it in "test" mode is not a real indication of the function of the damper door.
Thanks to  those who checked in on my problem. Just wanted to let you know the resolution:)
Bruce