Author Topic: Difference in Lennox UV 500+HC16 or Lennox Pure Air?  (Read 5157 times)

Offline ziepniew

Difference in Lennox UV 500+HC16 or Lennox Pure Air?
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
Ok I have a mold problem and while we are getting it removed I want to have a clean air system installed. My local Lennox dealers are telling me different things.. one has recommended that we get the Lennox HC 16 system and also install a Lennox UV 500 he says that it will be cheeper then the PureAir and it does the same thing. The other dealer says that the PureAir system works better to clean the mold.
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the two systems in practicality? the cost difference is significant ~1000 between going with the seprate systems or the PureAir.. i would like to save some money but not at the expenses of my health!

Offline TECH X

• Pro Techâ„¢
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Difference in Lennox UV 500+HC16 or Lennox Pure Air?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »
The UV500 is an elimination product.  The HC16 is a filtration product.  The PureAir is a purification product.

Make sure you are aware of the maintenance costs involved.  Replacement lamps, media filter ect...

Also note, the UV 500 is a germicidal lamp.  It kills the air leaving the furnace near the A/C coil.  The PureAir has 2 UVA Lamps that treat the air entering the furnace..  It IS NOT a germicidal lamp.

If IAQ is a concern, install the UV 500 and the PureAir for the best results.

The UV500 and the HC16 would help fix your problem though.  Just remember the germicidal lamps don't kill existing mold.  So have the ducts, and A/C coil disinfected first if need be.

The PureAir on it's own would not prevent mold.

Read the PureAir Brochure - Here

Read the UV 500 Brochure - Here