Author Topic: Radiant Tube Heater for Garage  (Read 3545 times)

Offline feavs

Radiant Tube Heater for Garage
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »
Hello,

I've acquired a natural gas radiant tube heater that I would like to install in my garage. I'm concerned with how I'm going to vent it. My garage is attached to my house (separated by an 8inch thick block wall), and there is no part of the house above it, just the garages own roof. I was originally going to vent through the roof, but I have windows right in front of the garage, so that's probably not good. Also, anything that sticks out of the roof is going to be an eye sore from the street unless kept low (but due to snow, it probably can't be kept to low). So now I'm on to venting through the wall. I'm limited again on what side I can vent on because of aesthetics. If I have a 15 inch vent sticking out right in front of my walk way / porch to my front door, my wife is going to kill me. So I have to go on to the other side. Since my house is fairly new development (8 years old), I have very little property. My neighbors house is very similar to mine in design. The garage is out front, and attached to the house. But our houses are close together (garages are 5' 6" apart, and the soffit from the roof is around 3 feet apart). So what I'm wondering is if I can vent through the wall, and not have a problem? Past our garages, we have a bit more room (probably 7 feet or so), but there are also windows along each wall. Also, inbetween our two houses are both of our access to our backyards, so the vent would have to be kept as high as possible (as close to the soffit as allowed).

So my questions are:
How close can windows be to a vent?
How far from the soffit do I have to be from the vent?
Is my neighbors house to close for me to do this?
How far out does the vent have to protrude from the wall?

I drew a very quick picture trying to explain what I'm explaining. Hopefully it helps.

Thanks

Eric

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Radiant Tube Heater for Garage
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
These are the references from the CAN/CSA-B149.1-05 Natural gas and propane installation code pertaining to vented infrared heaters, installed in a garage.

Clause 7.22.3
An infrared heater of the vented type shall be installed in accordance with the certified markings and the manufacturer's certified installation instructions.  It shall be protected against physical damage.  A tube-type infrared heater shall only be connected with a Type I hose connector that is
(a) certified as being in compliance with CSA Standard CAN/CGA-8.1; and
(b) of a length of 36 in. +/- 6 in.

Clause 7.22.4
When an infrared heater is installed in an area of a garage or a car wash where vehicles can be exposed to radiant heat, it shall
(a) comply with Clause 7.22.3 if of the vented type.
The minimum clearance from the radiant face of the infrared heater to the upper surface of the highest vehicle shall not be less than the certified clearance from combustible material as indicated on the appliance.  Provision shall be made to maintain these minimum specified clearances by an interlock that shuts off the gas supply until the required clearances have been re-established, a protective bar, or a device that provides a warning when the clearances are not being maintained.

You should be able to read the clearance specs off the rating plate attached to the heater.  Also note the manufacturer's name and the model and serial number.  You may need to track down the manual.  The rating plate will also show the input firing rate in BTU's.  This will determine how far the vent must terminate from windows and other building openings.
Under 100, 000 BTU's you need 1' from a window.  Over 100, 000 BTU's you need 3' from a window.  Clearance to combustibles is usually 6" with a single wall vent, or 1" for a double wall B vent.  The vent termination may allow a 45 degree elbow to help divert the flue products in between your houses and not directly at the neighbours.  Just to prevent the soffit from warping I would try to maintain at least 18" from the vent termination.  You'll have to check the manual to see how the manufacturer recommends termination.  Usually the pipe protrudes no more then 12".  Just pay attention to any mechanical intakes or vents you might see on that side of your neighbours house.  Being that it's his garage I can't see there being anything to worry about.

(8.14.8) A vent shall not terminate
(a) directly above a paved sidewalk or paved driveway that is located between two single-family dwellings and serves both dwellings; This does not apply to non-condensing appliances;
(b) less than 7 ft above a paved sidewalk or a paved driveway that is located on public property;

The infrared heater is a non-condensing appliance.