Brazing Torch Recomendations

Started by peanut2004, June 21, 2010, 04:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut2004

I don't do much A/C work, But I have installed a few residential systems for friends and family..  I have used a hand held torch with Mapp gas and I know it struggles a bit, while purging with nitrogen, but it does get the job done..  I recently bought a lennox LX800MC Kit...My concern is I think the tip may be small and I am not sure how long a mc tank lasts.. Before I open it, I have a question..

Does anyone use a mc tank to braze/silver solder A/C lines..If so what size tip do you use and how long does your tank last..I am debating getting the larger b-tank adapter for my kit and I was going to buy a a-11 or a-14 turbo torch tip (They fit in the handle)..

I would only be installing about 5-6 units a year...Any info would be good, I would like to buy the new tip asap, if I need them, I haven't tried the one that came in the kit..5/16 Tip

Thanks

Admin

If you prefer using small bottles, I would consider using propane or mapp gas instead of acetylene.  Acetylene is the "fast" gas, you'll run out faster and it costs more.  With the Turbo Torch T504 tip, you could silver braze 1" copper no problem, with either propane or mapp gas.

"MC" tanks are small, the Lenox LX800MC has an AA800 tip with a 3/8" flame.  You could silver braze 2" copper.  I honestly don't know how many installs you could do using that kit.  If you like what you got now, I would just use the "MC" tank and see how long it lasts you.  If capacity ends up being a problem, upgrade to a "B" tank.  With the Turbo Torch A-11 tip you could silver braze 1-5/8" copper.  I don't think you'll ever have to go bigger than 7/8".

I find using acetylene causes the tips to soot up faster.  If you plan on doing a/c service in the future, I would consider using an oxy/acetylene torch.
I find the flame is alot smaller and easier to use, and my brazes always seem nicer.  Usually the wholsaler will take a deposit on the cylinders and you'd just pay for the oxygen and acetylene.  That would save you money buying the TTV100CP instead of the TV100CPT kit.

Minh le

HI admin.

where can i buy the one like this picture? and how much it cost? thanks

Admin

Call Marks Supply or WWG sells the Harris Port a Torch Item 4400160.

My guess would be around $500, but it's been decades since I bought one.

Mtsaz

I use uniweld kit like in pic.  Yes it has motorcycle "mc"tank.  I use the top that came with it and more recently for 3/8 and above a captain book #5 which loops around the pipe to heat  it evenly. I might the torch...braze...off.  Thanks last a long time. Here in sw US many package units on roofs make anything larger impractical.  The turbo torch works well with acetylene. I don't want to overheat a txv or reversal valve by trying to use mapp gas.  oxy Acetylene does the job perfectly and a turbo torch w acetylene is basically oxy acetylene. Amazon has the uniweld kit or maybe look in Craigslist etc for used.

Porcupinepuffer

with the Oxy/acetylene MC kit, I could do about 10 or so a/c's before the acetylene tank is empty. The oxygen always lasts a little longer.
With the air/acetylene B tank kit, I could do about 40 or more a/c's before the tank needs replacing.

With the little you're doing, I wouldn't bother with a B tank. The oxy/ace kit would be a little more handy.