Coleman Modulating Furnaces

Started by davcas, March 22, 2011, 07:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davcas

I am getting a Flash code 6, which indicates gas valve communication error.  I need to know what direction to go in.  Weither to change the board or the gas valve.  Basically the problem is the gas valve will not turn to high fire.  Has anybody had this problem before

Admin

Normally I would say the control board, but this is a different gas valve then found on most other furnaces.  It's not a simple 24V, open or closed operation.

Is that a Echelon model?  I believe that furnace fires at 70% of full rate for 30-45 seconds, then drops to the minimum 35% firing rate.  The firing rate is automatically adjusted to meet demand, increasing gradually to maximum 100% firing rate if the thermostat is not satisfied within a defined time.

I've heard that they've been having mositure / corrosion problems with the gas valve.  I agree with Michael, look at replacing it.  Apparently mositure from the intake pipe is damaging the gas valve.  The solution is to install a tee and drain line / trap in the intake pipe.

I would call Coleman and see if there's a technical support person that can confirm.  Have the model and serial #'s ready.

1-800-536-6112 is Johnson Controls phone number.  They own Coleman, York, Carrier, Unitary ect..

torontotech

try putting it into high fire with test mode. (for that matter test all three speeds)
if the ventor motor speeds up but the valve does not open up to high, then yes, it does sound like the gas valve is the problem.

all parts should be warranty anyway.

Naydrus

Quote from: Admin on March 23, 2011, 01:40:52 AM
Normally I would say the control board, but this is a different gas valve then found on most other furnaces.  It's not a simple 24V, open or closed operation.

Is that a Echelon model?  I believe that furnace fires at 70% of full rate for 30-45 seconds, then drops to the minimum 35% firing rate.  The firing rate is automatically adjusted to meet demand, increasing gradually to maximum 100% firing rate if the thermostat is not satisfied within a defined time.

I've heard that they've been having mositure / corrosion problems with the gas valve.  I agree with Michael, look at replacing it.  Apparently mositure from the intake pipe is damaging the gas valve.  The solution is to install a tee and drain line / trap in the intake pipe.

I would call Coleman and see if there's a technical support person that can confirm.  Have the model and serial #'s ready.

1-800-536-6112 is Johnson Controls phone number.  They own Coleman, York, Carrier, Unitary ect..

I work for a York dealer and have had this problem many, many times.
If the fresh air intake is coming off the top of the unit, (right above the gas valve) it has a tendency to condensate. Drips onto gas valve and after a while it's toast.
Johnson recommends installing a tee in the intake and so any condensation will not drip onto the gas valve, or relocating the fresh air to the side of the unit. Our company we just relocate the intake and call it a day, no call backs so far.

ucph

Hello there,

I know this is an older topic but we have the same issue for awhile and reseller does not help
Sometime is flashes red 3 times and sometime red 6 times. If I turn of the breaker, wait 10 sec and turn on again the Furnace starts and runs without a problem.
Naydrus mentioned the intake. I told Raabe this but they said no!
We already spend a lot of money, board replaced and pressure vales and labor. Raabe is the company in Pembroke, ON what is looking after this but they don't call back nothing. If we get a hold of them now they said they don't know - by the way the sold and installed this furnace. Our furnace failed 6 times over the last 3 days. These guys don't care. I contacted 1-800-536-6112  Johnson Controls but they wont help as I am the Enduser. I am on the End what can we do? We need our furnace to be working.

Who can help?? Please

Thanks Peter

Admin

That sounds like a pressure switch problem.  It could also be related to the moisture problems found in ICP, York and Carrier furnaces.

Read the Carrier TIC2013-0014 bulletin,

https://www.hvactechgroup.com/files/Carrier%20condensation%20rust.pdf

I would remove the intake vent connected to the furnace and see if the problem stops.  If so follow the instructions in the bulletin.

Or hire another company to verify the vent slope, sizing and drainage.