Author Topic: Servel Propane Fridges  (Read 3467 times)

Offline wazlife

Servel Propane Fridges
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »
Hey Gang,

Heading to a call. I'm sort of familiar with the idea of the propane fridge. Basically, pilot won't stay lit. Now the thermocouple has been tested and is fine. I'm deducting that it is the CO detector hooked in series with the pilot assembly. I'm going to check the batteries and jump out the connection to see if it is indeed the CO detector itself that is faulty (not likely, but sometimes new things come with lemons).

Any other ideas?

Thanks
G2/OBT2 - new to service, worked as a meter installer for a gas company for 16 months.

Offline wazlife

Re: Servel Propane Fridges
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 04:43:54 PM »
Sorry, it's a Unique UGP-13
G2/OBT2 - new to service, worked as a meter installer for a gas company for 16 months.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »
Interesting, I always thought unvented appliances were illegal in Ontario but apparently it has CSA certification and is approved when the CO detector is wired in series, like you mentioned.

Being that the appliance is new I would look at the structure / enclosure that it's installed in.  Verify you have adequate combustion air.  It's possible a lack of combustion air is causing the pilot outage.  Maybe the pilot outage occurs when the home owner is using the dryer or bathroom / kitchen exhaust fans.

I would also check the propane gas pressure.

Offline wazlife

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:07:46 AM »
Pressure was good - it was coming in at the required 11" WC. Combustion air is definetly not the issue. It's a hunting camp, so theres no de-pressurization as well in the home that would cause the flame to drop out.

I removed the CO detector in series from the gas control and just reconnected the thermocouple and it worked fine - however, this contravenes it's approval. Back to the drawing board! I'm going to pick the brain of one of the senior technicians at work today.