CSST - Outdoor Fittings - Silicone Tape Requirement

Started by Admin, June 29, 2014, 10:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

The TSSA is on the lookout for outdoor CSST fittings that have not been wrapped with silicone tape.

The Tracpipe installation guide or Canadian Tracpipe installation guide states,
QuoteSECTION 4.3B — OUTDOOR INSTALLATION ISSUES
1. When installed outdoors, the plastic jacketing shall remain intact as much as practical for the given installation. Any portions of exposed stainless steel shall be wrapped with self bonding silicone tape sealing the fitting connection to prevent later corrosive attack by acid wash or chloride based compounds. (See Figures: 4-5 and 4-6).

The Wardflex installation guide states,
Quote4.3.6 OUTDOOR INSTALLATIONS
B. WARDFLEX®/WARDFLEX®IImechanical joint fittings shall be protected from the effects of weather when used outdoors. After the connection is made to outdoor equipment the fitting assembly shall be wrapped with tape (e.g. PVC, Self Fusing Silicone) or by applying shrink sleeves (e.g. PVC, Polyolefin) around the entire assembly.

The Gastite installation guide states,
Quote4.3.6 Outdoor
Gastite®/FlashShieldTM Flexible Gas Tubing has passed all requirements of ANSI LC1, which include testing for suitability for exposure of CSST piping systems to outdoor environments.
a) Outdoors – When installed outdoors, the external jacketing shall remain intact as much as practical for the given installation. Any portions of the exposed stainless steel tubing shall be wrapped with tape or sleeved to prevent later threats by acid or chloride based cleaning solutions for masonry. Self-bonding silicone tape is recommended here for durability.

walker

do you have an example of a silicon tape? I dont remember seeing any at the suppliers before.

Admin

Noble Trade and WWG sell black silicone tape in Ottawa.

Porcupinepuffer

I never knew this.  I know of at least one outdoor tracpipe job from a previous employer where this wasn't done.