Author Topic: Natural Draft water tank in a rental basement  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Viperi

• 313D Supporter
Natural Draft water tank in a rental basement
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
hey guys i just looked at a job and the basement is a rental. they have a natural draft water tank, and a mid eff furnace in a tiny closet by the kitchen. I read the code and i can't have it in bedrooms and washrooms but what about a kitchen as its still a living space sort of.

Can we put back in a new natural draft tank and keep the mid furnace or both have to be changed out to a high eff furnace and a single pipe PV Hot water tank?

Offline walker

• Pro Techâ„¢
Re: Natural Draft water tank in a rental basement
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
It may not even meet code requirements in the closet its in anyways, what kind of combustion air supply is being provided to the enclosure?

Offline walker

• Pro Techâ„¢
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
I don't know of any codes that prevent a water heater from being installed in a kitchen.  I only see codes preventing water heaters being installed in bedrooms & bathrooms, or enclosures accessed by bathrooms, I don't however see any codes preventing a furnace from being installed in a bathroom or bedroom.  This of course I am talking about non-direct vent appliances.

Can anyone else chime in on where you can and cant install a furnace or water that is non direct vent.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »
If the tiny closet had an adequate chimney, combustion air supply and the clearances were satisfied, I don't see a problem. 

Without a seperate enclosure there are certain Building Codes to consider if there are nearby return air openings.

6.2.3.20 - (6) Return-air inlets shall not be installed in an enclosed room or crawl space that provides combustion air to a fuel-fired appliance.

6.2.4.7 - (13) Return-air inlets shall not be installed in an enclosed room or crawl space that provides combustion air to a furnace.

Clause 7.27.1,

A water heater, unless of the direct-vent type, shall not be installed in a bathroom, bedroom, or any enclosure where sleeping accommodation is provided.
A power vent water heater may be installed in an enclosure adjacent to a bedroom or bathroom provided adequate combustion air per clause 8.2.6 is provided to the enclosure. This combustion air supply shall not be supplied from the bedroom or bathroom.
A natural draft water heater may be installed in an enclosure that is accessed by a pedestrian door which can be opened from a bathroom or bedroom, provided that the enclosure has a volume equal to or greater than the bathroom or bedroom.