Maximum threaded to welded after meter?

Started by howitt, October 16, 2017, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitt

How much 2" threaded pipe are you able to run in Ontario Canada before upsizing to welded pipe size?

Attavior

Industrial meter? Anything after the tail peice and finial union is customer piping.  I don't think there is a minimum amount stated.  That might depend on if it's enbridge or union gas.

howitt

On all piping I've seen or done the initial part after the meter is 2" threaded and then goes to welded. I'm wondering if there is something in the code about the maximum length allowed?

Quote from: Admin on October 16, 2017, 06:52:48 PM
QuoteClause 6.9.2 - Piping of NPS 2-1/2 and over shall have welded pipe joints.

howitt

For a meter at a high rise. The line is 2 1/2" going up to the roof. I want to come off the meter threaded 2" for about 10 feet before upping the size to 2 1/2" welded. Is there a code reference about this?

Quote from: Attavior on October 16, 2017, 05:38:54 PM
Industrial meter? Anything after the tail peice and finial union is customer piping.  I don't think there is a minimum amount stated.  That might depend on if it's enbridge or union gas.
Quote from: Attavior on October 16, 2017, 05:38:54 PM

Porcupinepuffer

I recall something about you can use the size of pipe coming off the meter within the first 24", and then the proper sizing is then required for the system beyond that.

howitt

Thanks, any idea where I can find that in the code book?

Quote from: Porcupinepuffer on October 16, 2017, 08:49:15 PM
I recall something about you can use the size of pipe coming off the meter within the first 24", and then the proper sizing is then required for the system beyond that.

Attavior

Not sure if what your are dealing with is truly an extension, certainly isn't insufficient capacity, but this is all I could find. 

When an existing piping or tubing system is of insufficient capacity for an additional appliance, the supply piping or tubing to any extension shall be sized to meet the requirements of Clause 6.3 to within 24 in (600 mm) of the point of the supplier termination or the line pressure regulator, at which point it may be reduced if necessary.

Porcupinepuffer

Yeah it's not quite the same situation. I found this on the Enbridge website. https://www.enbridgegas.com/businesses/assets/docs/EAQ1057_BTB_PipeSizing_final.pdf

From what's written, the picture at the top right is what they want to see. The bottom left is what they don't want to see.

Is there a reason for wanting to use threaded pipe for so long instead of just bringing the welded pipe as close as possible?