How to tighten pipe....

Started by wantboost, February 27, 2019, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wantboost

I seen some attach the following to a tee.
Nipple then shut off then a gas tight fitting. 

They tighten all from the gas tight fitting.  Is this allowed and or will everything get tighten properly?
G2

harshal

I would add the union and install such a way that you don't have to remove CSSTwhen u replace the gas valve.I never install csst to gas valve directly,against the code.Always black iron to gas valve.I use the Gastite for the drop from tee and terminate with nipple or shut off valve then union etc.This applies to the furnace and water heater.

Attavior

Are you asking if tightening all fittings together will properly tighten as opposed to individually each fitting seperately?

Porcupinepuffer

For simplicity of answering the question, yes, it will work fine. I do it all the time. It's all turning in the correct clockwise direction, so there's no issue with it being wrong. It really comes down to due diligence, experience and time saving. If you feel a pipe further down may not be tightening well, then bring the wrenches further down the line and feel it out. I've down this with really long pipe runs where the bending of the pipe starts to become annoying. Sometimes I'll want the black iron fittings tighter upstream of the valve and I will move the wrenches behind it and tighten it a little more since I may not want the black iron going too deep in the brass of the valve. The CSST fittings are quite strong, no issues there.

There really is no code or rule for this, it's about common sense and making sure you've tightening everything down properly and don't have any leaks after. I suppose if someone is really new and feels the need to wrench each fitting individually, then so be it. 

tenletters

Quote from: wantboost on February 27, 2019, 06:59:59 PM

They tighten all from the gas tight fitting.  Is this allowed and or will everything get tighten properly?
Yes, it will as long as it's all tight. Leak search after.

Quote from: harshal on February 27, 2019, 07:35:46 PM
I never install csst to gas valve directly,against the code.Always black iron to gas valve.
Not anymore. It just has to be protected while entering the furnace casing.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

Admin

What do you mean not anymore?

I thought Clause 6.2.21 prevented us from using CSST as a gas connector.  Although looking at the definition of Gas Connector, I'm not sure how CSST could be considered one because it's not factory-fabricated.

QuoteClause 6.2.21 - Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) shall not be used as a gas connector.

QuoteGas connector — a factory-fabricated assembly consisting of gas conduit and related fittings designed to convey gaseous fuel from a gas supply piping to the gas inlet of an appliance. A gas connector is not intended for vibration isolation, nor expansion or contraction control. For the purposes of this Code, solid gas connector includes
(a) gas connectors for gas appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 and are not designed for repeated movement after being connected nor for repeated disconnecting and connecting and are not intended to be used with quick-disconnect devices or convenience outlets;
(b) gas connectors for movable gas appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16 and are designed for repeated movement on a regular basis and could be used with quick-disconnect devices or gas convenience outlets;
(c) gas connectors for outdoor gas appliances and manufactured homes that are certified to ANSI Z21.75/CSA 6.27 and are designed for supplying gas to an appliance for outdoor installation that is not frequently moved after installation and to the gas inlet on a mobile home; and
(d) gas hose connectors for moveable appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5 and are designed for repeated movement on a regular basis and must be used with gas convenience outlets.

walker

Quote from: tenletters on February 28, 2019, 02:42:30 PM
Quote from: wantboost on February 27, 2019, 06:59:59 PM

Yes, it will as long as it's all tight. Leak search after.

Quote from: harshal on February 27, 2019, 07:35:46 PM
I never install csst to gas valve directly,against the code.Always black iron to gas valve.
Not anymore. It just has to be protected while entering the furnace casing.

Its actually up to the installation manual, some equipment specifies that copper or csst cannot be used entering the cabinet.

tenletters

Quote from: Admin on February 28, 2019, 03:35:37 PM
What do you mean not anymore?

I never looked into it. But, recently I've taken the Gastite and Wardflex training to get the updated card since they expire after 4 years now and they both said you can now in Ontario run it into the furnace as long as it's protected going through the hole. It's to be treated just like hard pipe in the code.

I personally won't because it'd look awful and the edges of the opening holes in the furnace are sharp.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

Porcupinepuffer

I can't see doing it without it being nothing but a headache with inspectors. They want to see unions and never want the CSST fitting used as a means of disconnect. What about the dirt pocket before the furnace? What about the possibility of a roll out and the flames melting the required sheathing off the csst in the cabinet?

And the edges of the opening of the hole in the furnace shouldn't be sharp when you're supposed to be running it through the supplied rubber grommet. Especially on double piped furnaces.

tenletters

Quote from: Porcupinepuffer on March 03, 2019, 10:48:23 AM
I can't see doing it without it being nothing but a headache with inspectors.

Never seen one aside from new housing

They want to see unions and never want the CSST fitting used as a means of disconnect. What about the dirt pocket before the furnace?

Do the pocket and run the gastite from the T straight in

They want to see unions and never want the CSST fitting used as a means of disconnect.

I guess do that somewhere in the verticle towards the T

What about the dirt pocket before the furnace?
hard pipe

What about the possibility of a roll out and the flames melting the required sheathing off the csst in the cabinet?
Unlikely in a mid or high efficiency with working rollout switches. I've never seen them fail closed

And the edges of the opening of the hole in the furnace shouldn't be sharp when you're supposed to be running it through the supplied rubber grommet. Especially on double piped furnaces.
It's very common installers don't add those or when a valve is replaced the service guy doesn't add it back.

Admin

The 2019 FlashShield manual Section 4.6.2 says,

QuoteAdditionally, FlashShieldTM shall not penetrate metallic cabinet of appliance.

The 2018 Gastite manual Section 4.6.2 says,

QuoteAdditionally, Gastite®/FlashShieldTM should not penetrate metallic cabinet of appliance.

Maybe shall is mandatory but should is only a recommendation.

They don't seem to very consistant or clear in their manuals.

tenletters

Yeah who knows. As long as black iron is a thing there's no reason to put gastite or others into the cabinet.

Right around the opening is the best place for a union and I'm not cutting two pieces for both sides of a union.

I didn't ask when this even took place that its allowed to be used.

wantboost

Thx for all the replies . I found that the nipple that was last inline wasnt getting totally tight like the csst.
G2