Electrical Connections - Condensate Pump

Started by Attavior, July 28, 2017, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attavior

I've been informed by a gas inspector that the Building Code/Electrical Code has changed since July 1st, and condensate pumps are now required to be connected by a GFI at the Furnace?  Any one else hear this or can confirm that this is actually the case? 

Admin

The changes were made to OESC Rule 26-724(f), regarding AFCI circuits. (Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter)

Download the ESA Technical Corner Document - Here

I also posted a picture from the March 2017 OESC Bulletins below.  See Questions 1 and 2.

QuoteRule 26-724 Branch circuits for dwelling units (see Appendix B)
This Rule applies to branch circuits for dwelling units (including single dwellings) as follows:
(a) branch circuits from a panelboard installed in accordance with Rule 26-400 shall not be connected to outlets or electrical equipment in any other dwelling unit;
(b) except as may be permitted by Items (c) and (d), at least two branch circuits shall be provided for receptacles (5-15R split or 5-20R) installed for kitchen counters of dwelling units in accordance with Rule 26-712(d)(iii), (iv), and (v); and
(i) no more than two receptacles shall be connected to a branch circuit; and
(ii) no other outlets shall be connected to these circuits;
(c) notwithstanding Item (b), where the provisions of Rule 26-712(d)(iii) require only one receptacle, only one branch circuit need be provided;
(d) notwithstanding Item (b)(i), receptacles identified in Rule 26-710(d) shall be permitted to be connected to those receptacles required by Rule 26-712(d)(iii), even though the circuit already supplies two receptacles;
(e) receptacles installed in accordance with Rule 26-712(d)(vi) shall be supplied by a branch circuit that does not supply any other outlets, except that a receptacle required by Rule 26-712(d)(ii) shall also be permitted to be supplied by this branch circuit;
(f) each branch circuit supplying 125 V receptacles rated 20 A or less shall be protected by a combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter, except for branch circuits supplying

Delete CE Code Rule 26-724(f)(i) and replace with the following:
(i) receptacles installed in accordance with
(A) Rule 26-710(f) provided no other receptacles are connected to these circuits; or
(B) Rules 26-710(d), 26-712(d)(i), (iii), (iv), and (v); and
(i) receptacles installed in accordance with
(A) Rule 26-710(f); or
(B) Rule 26-712(d)(i), (iii), (iv), and (v); and
(ii) a single receptacle for a sump pump where
(A) the receptacle is labelled in a conspicuous, legible, and permanent manner identifying it as a sump pump receptacle; and
(B) the branch circuit does not supply any other receptacles; and
(g) notwithstanding Item (f), the entire branch circuit need not be provided with arc-fault protection where
(i) an outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter is installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit; and
(ii) the wiring method for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet consists of metal raceway, armoured cable, or non-metallic conduit or tubing.

QuoteThe AFCI should not be confused with the GFCI. The AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) protects against fires caused by arcing faults. Arcing faults often occur in damaged or deteriorated wires and cords.  The GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) is designed to protect people from severe or fatal electric shocks.

It's not necessary to replace the breaker with AFCI, you just have to use an AFCI receptacle for the condensate pump.

Porcupinepuffer

I've heard about this for a while from certain people using plugs. First it was regular plugs instead of tamper proof ones, and then gfci.  I just hard-wire them into the furnace and haven't had any issues from inspectors.

Attavior

Thanks.  Good to know.  This all started because a previous installer cut the 3 prong plug in for the condensate and hardwired it into the furnace after drilling a hole to fish the wire thru the sheet metal.

Sergroum

Hm. That is a pretty common practice. I dont even know how many ... thousands of times I've seen that done. And this is now against code? Whoa, good to know.

mattmctree

I 've always hard wired it in with the electrical supply for the furnace.  Obviously using proper connectors and grommets. It seems kind of ridiculous to be against code. I also can't find anything stating it can't be done in the gas code

Admin

The Gas Code says,

Quote4.7.1 - Electrical connections between an appliance and building wiring shall comply with the local electrical code or, in the absence of such, with the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I.

The Electrical Code would apply if you were adding a new receptacle at the furnace for the condensate pump.  Maybe hardwiring the pump to the furnace power supply is a loop hole.  Technically any wiring installed below 5' from the floor requires protection, so I've always wondered if we should be installing a conduit over the cord or using BX wiring.

DaveP

I've been told by ESA inspectors to avoid the AFCI, cut the cord and use a proper "stain relief connector" for cabtyre.  I would think the fact the pump is a device with an approved cord attached would negate the requirement to protect the wire.

Admin

Just an update to this post since the OESC 27th Edition was adopted in Ontario, May 1, 2019.

You can download the OESC May 2019 Bulletins - Here

Bulletin 26-29-3 says,

QuoteQuestion 2 - If one or more receptacles is added to an existing circuit and the existing branch circuit ahead of the new receptacles is not altered, are you required to install Arc Fault circuit protection on the extension of the branch circuit?

Answer 2 - Yes. Arc fault protection is required for the extension of the branch circuit. An AFCI receptacle (or a dead front) is required to be installed at the first added receptacle on the extension of the circuit. Metal raceway, armoured cable, or non-metallic conduit or tubing shall not be required between the panel and the AFCI device.

This is also applicable to the addition of a new receptacle at the furnace (on an existing branch circuit) to plug in associated equipment (such as condensate pumps, humidifiers, etc.).

Now here is where it gets a little unclear to me.  Can we cut the plug end off and hard wire the condensate pump?

If you read Bulletin 12-36-0 it lists examples of where the OESC permits the use of flexible cord to be hard-wired in a junction box.  I do not see any reference to a condensate pump.

Quote1. Pendant drops to luminaires or other electrical equipment
2. Pendant pushbutton stations for cranes
3. Wiring of cranes, hoists, passenger ropeways and passenger conveyors
4. The connection of appliances such as ranges and clothes dryers
5. The prevention of noise and vibration transmission, such as motors
6. The connection of electrical components between which relative motion is required
7. Electrical equipment for industrial use which must be capable of being moved from place to place
8. Both connection and interconnection of data processing systems using an attachment plug, provided the cord is of the extra-hard-usage type.

If we read OESC Rule 12-402 it says,

Quote2) Flexible cord shall be permitted to be used for
a) electrical equipment for household or similar use that is intended to be
i) moved from place to place; or
ii) detachably connected according to a Canadian Electrical Code, Part II Standard;

3) Flexible cord and cord sets shall not be used
a) as a substitute for the fixed wiring of structures and shall not be
i) permanently secured to any structural member;
ii) run through holes in walls, ceilings, or floors; or
iii) run through doorways, windows, or similar openings;

4) Flexible cord shall be protected against mechanical damage by an insulating bushing or some other effective means where it enters or passes through the enclosure wall or the partitioning of a device or enters a lampholder.

This implies the condensate pump, using flexible cord, would have to remain plugged in (detachably connected), not hard wired.  Once it's hard wired it becomes permanent.

I like DaveP's idea of replacing the flexible cord with BX wire.  Then you can use a standard L16 connector and anti short and hard wire it into the furnace.

If you are allowed to hard wire the flexible cord it would likely have to be protected from mechanical damage and use an approved CGB connector as per Bulletin 12-36-0.  Note an L type connector is not permitted to be used with flexible cord.

Manufacturer's like Little Giant also will void their warranty if the flexible cord is cut shorter than 3 feet.

walker

are you saying to remove the electrical cord from the condensate pump itself and wire it back to the furnace using BX cable? and what is a anti-short?

Admin

Yes, I believe you can't hardwire the flexible cord of a condensate pump.  BX would be approved.  Or just install an AFCI plug and keep the flexible cord.

I call that red plastic thing you put inside the BX sheathing when using an L16 connector an anti short.  I could be wrong with my terminology though.

walker

Quote from: Admin on December 29, 2019, 11:17:06 AM
Yes, I believe you can't hardwire the flexible cord of a condensate pump.  BX would be approved.  Or just install an AFCI plug and keep the flexible cord.

I call that red plastic thing you put inside the BX sheathing when using an L16 connector an anti short.  I could be wrong with my terminology though.

what would the end of the BX look like at the condensate pump? use a connector or just jam the bx in through the hole where the cord came out?

Admin

I was thinking about this afterwards.  Little Giant likely wouldn't approve of replacing their wiring anyway.  And you're right, there's likely no approved way to connect the BX to the pump.

I suspect installing a plug and using the flexible cord is the right way.

You rarely see condensate pumps in new construction and the ESA inspectors likely never see them installed as Rule 2-005 let's the HVAC worker install a condensate pump without the need for a permit.  We should be okay connecting a plug to our existing furnace circuit.

I have heard the TSSA and even some ESA inspectors have no problem when the condensate pump is hardwired.  I just think it's technically against the Electrical Code.

Porcupinepuffer

I call the red things anti-shorts as well since their purpose is to prevent the actual wires from shorting out against the sharp edges of the BX. I believe black electric tape is allowed as an alternative to anti-shorts, but given their cost for a whole bundle, it seems a lot better using them then trying to somehow wrap it with electrical tape and miraculously get it pushed down into bx.
I was also trying to figure out how to connect bx to the pump itself and really can't see it happening. I've had the cover off the little giant pumps plenty of times and can't see how it can be done into the plastic housing.

walker

so just use a plug, Does it have to be a certain type of plug? I'm under the impression that unless the breaker in the panel is AFCI then then the plug has be a AFCI, is that correct?

Admin

Yes, that's what my understanding is as well.